- Summer Training at Centre of Research and Industrial Staff Performance (CRISP) Academy, Jabalpur
- JaShan – A “star” added to Jabalpur Engineering College
- Internship Story of E&TC Alumnus at Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
- Internship in networking domain at O-Zone Networks Pvt. Ltd – New Delhi
- Fill Exam Forms & Fees Online – JEC Jabalpur
Whether you are freshman year or graduating, you need to have an edge over others. Engineering is incomplete without practical application of what you learn. Regardless of your branch, you need to apply your knowledge and observe the outcome.
At Jabalpur Engineering College, VT is included in the curriculum. Students undergo for Vocational Trainings or Internships after the end of 4th semester called minor training (minimum duration: 2 weeks) and after the 6th semester called major training (minimum duration: 4 weeks) . This is by default and marks for which are being accounted for in the odd semesters.
Students of any semester should go for internships. Even after the completion of 1st year, when you have enough free time, you can it utilize to learn and build yourself. The more internships, the better it is.
- Find out the which career path is good for you.
- Meet like minded people
- Grow your network
- Work in a real world environment
- Soft skills, soft skills – much of this!
- If its paid, you get to earn some cash 😉
- Chance to get a pre-placement offer (PPO)
When to apply?
Depending on location and other factors the time when you apply varies. Normally, one must start out with applying by sending out emails or filling application forms at least 2-3 months before the internship starts. Sometimes you wouldn’t know if an internship opportunity exists within the company, its your job to find out.
- Apply before 2-3 months.
- For global internships, this time extends to at least 4-6 months prior to internship duration.
Training VS Internship
Thought both provide learning experience, but which one is better and why? Training is just mastering your skills in a specific task, while Internship gives you a real world experience which is an add-on to the learning experience and skills. Training can be done even at home, you can learn coding, or making small DIY electronics projects. But, internship is what prepares you for the future.
Employers – dig – Internships
When you become an intern at a company or organisation, they can see you work and evaluate whether you can be a good addition to their workplace. They would really consider you more as a probable employee because they’ve seen you work, they know if you could be a good fit for the company.
Where to find internships?
- UTKARSH Facebook group
- Google Summer of Code
- Web portals of major institutes like IIT, IIIT, etc.
- Internet is your guide..Find more than what is listed here.
Getting good internships at great places?
Getting a good internship is critical that just getting a internship.
Internships can be classified to various streams and branches:
- Engineering Internships
- Science Internships
- International Internships
- MBA Internships
- Media Internships
- Law Internships
- NGO & Government Internships
- Design Internships
- Many more
For example, if you get any internship at Google, you definitely be adding a 100 times more value to your resume. It might be anything but since you are working with Google, it gives out a really good impression.
So, following factors are important when you search for internships:
- Type of internship: Paid/Unpaid
- Specialization of work
- Work environment
- PPO Opportunity
- Global experience
Enhance your chance
- Work on projects relevant to internships you are applying for.
- Spend time on making resume and covering letters. They speak on your behalf, they are your face, personality, skills. Make them brilliant and focussed.
- Build your skills as go on with your regular education. You cannot learn all from your curriculum, you need to get out of the little box and explore.
- Explore, explore and do it again. That’s all you got to do.
- Network, make friends, work together.
- Enrich your communication skills. Language is the medium of all good and great. It has to be the best.
UPDATE: December 14th, 2013 (thanks to a junior for helping out writing this update)
Important Points to take care of while applying for internship
- You need to apply at hundreds of places, as lots of peoples are doing the same thing. You might not be successful in your initial attempts, keep patience. It’s not an easy task for the companies to process thousands of resumes they receive.
- Don’t completely depend only on internshala.com or any other similar sites.
- You should use the Career Page of companies and contact them or send your CV/Resume along with a covering letter.
- If you are not on LinkedIn.com, make a profile and use this social network to find internships. It is a great tool for professional communication. You can also take help of email address provided, where you can send your resume.
- Make specific resumes
example: if you want to apply for mobile development domain of internship then keywords must be like I’ve worked on android, made apps etc.
- High quality resumes are most important, as they reach the companies before you.
- Read on internet, apply for national/international institutes, directly send your resume to Professor’s email. Follow professors projects and activities, contact them, discuss their projects, they keep their project section online, so its easy for you to do things.
- If you are good enough, you might end up getting earning a lot of money as stipend and get to go abroad.
- And still if you are not getting results then it might happen that they didn’t like your resume, they have stopped the screening of resume or what not.
- Don’t give up, just keep on your search.
Leave your comments, would love to answer your questions!